Starting Friday, July 1, residences in California are required to have carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke detectors. Previous laws have required newly-constructed homes to have CO detectors. However, the new Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (California Senate Bill 183) applies to existing dwellings. The law states that owners of residential properties with gas appliances, fireplaces or attached garages must install one CO detector per floor. Owners of single-family units (such as houses, manufactured homes, and condominiums) must comply by July 1st or face up to $200 in fines. Owners of multiple-unit dwellings (apartments, hotels, dormitories, etc.) have until January 1, 2013 to comply.
Carbon monoxide is called “The Silent Killer” for good reason. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause unconsciousness, brain damage, and death. According to the California Air Resources Board, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for 30-40 deaths and 175-700 emergency room visits each year. The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act aims to reduce these avoidable deaths and injuries.
Carbon monoxide detectors are an easy, affordable way to protect your family. At envirosafetyproducts.com, safety is our number 1 concern. We offer a large selection of carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors, including combination smoke/CO detectors that fulfill the new California residential requirements.
Carbon Monoxide is often refered to as the “Silent Killer”. It is refered to this because Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. CO can kill you before you are aware of its presence. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.” Every home should have a Carbon Monoxide Detector along with a Smoke Detector. Two-in-One Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors are also available.
Carbon Monoxide can be found in a wide variety of sources ranging from unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, gas water heaters, gas stoves, automobile exhaust and more. For a detailed list of sources you can visit the EPA website. CO can cause a variety of health problems. At low concentrations, CO can cause fatigue in healthy people and chest pain. Higher concentrations can cause impaired vision and coordination, headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. Flu-like symptoms can also appear but clear up after leaving home. At very high concentrations, effects can be fatal.
All Carbon Monoxide poisionings are preventable. In order to give you and your loved ones the protection they deserve, install a CO detector in your home. In addition to installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector, the EPA recommends following additional steps in order to reduce exposure to Carbon Monoxide. These steps include:
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted
- Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one
- Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters
- Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use
- Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system annually. Repair any leaks promptly
- Do not idle the car inside garage