Considering our bad economy, it should be no surprise most manufactures have increased their prices and TREND is no exception. Trend is now implementing M.A.P. (Minimum Advertised Price) on all their items. The popular TREND Airshield and TREND Airshield Pro now sell for $320 and $399. These are popular PAPR systems among woodworkers and others who need excellent protection from the inhalation of harmful dust. We know the last thing our customers need is to pay more for safety, that’s why we are offering a coupon on all Trend Airshield products. Make sure to request a coupon before you checkout to receive instant savings on your purchase.
Archive for September 17, 2009
Carbon Monoxide is often refered to as the “Silent Killer”. It is refered to this because Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. CO can kill you before you are aware of its presence. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.” Every home should have a Carbon Monoxide Detector along with a Smoke Detector. Two-in-One Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors are also available.
Carbon Monoxide can be found in a wide variety of sources ranging from unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, gas water heaters, gas stoves, automobile exhaust and more. For a detailed list of sources you can visit the EPA website. CO can cause a variety of health problems. At low concentrations, CO can cause fatigue in healthy people and chest pain. Higher concentrations can cause impaired vision and coordination, headaches, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. Flu-like symptoms can also appear but clear up after leaving home. At very high concentrations, effects can be fatal.
All Carbon Monoxide poisionings are preventable. In order to give you and your loved ones the protection they deserve, install a CO detector in your home. In addition to installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector, the EPA recommends following additional steps in order to reduce exposure to Carbon Monoxide. These steps include:
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted
- Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one
- Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters
- Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use
- Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system annually. Repair any leaks promptly
- Do not idle the car inside garage
If you are a healthcare professional, the risk for occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens is very high. “Bloodborne Pathogens means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can casue disease in humans. These pathogens include, but are not limited to, Hepatitis B Virus, Hepatitis C Virus, and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).” (OSHA) According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Exposures occur through needlesticks or cuts from other sharp instruments contaminated with an infected patient’s blood or through contact of the eye, nose, mouth, or skin with a patient’s blood.”
Healthcare professionals, as well as employees in the fields of Crime Scene Cleanup, Embalming/forensics, Tank Cleaning, Fiberglass Manufacturing, Animal Research, and Emergency Medical Response, protecting yourself from potential exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens is extremely important. Kimberly Clark offers Bloodborne Pathogens Coveralls to protect workers from pathogens, bodily fluids, bacteria and more. These coveralls pass ASTM F1670-1671 testing for penetration of blood, body fluids and bloodborne pathogens.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends the following if you are stuck by a needle or other sharp instruments, or get blood or other potentially infectious materials in your eyes, nose, mouth, or on broken skin:
- Immediately flood the exposed area with water and clean any wound with soap and water or a skin disinfectant if available.
- Report this immediately to your employer
- Seek immediate medical attention
Looking for a face mask that not only protects you from viruses and bacterias, but destroys them? Look no further. MCR Safety has just launched the Safe2Breathe Pandemic Flu Mask. The Safe2Breathe kills viruses and bacteria and destroys the micro-organisms for up to 24 hours, and has been proven to block at least 99% of particulates. “Independent laboratory test results confirm that the antimicrobial properties of the Pandemic Mask are significantly effective against Influenza, Tuberculosis, MRSA, bird flu and others.” (MCR Safety) This flu mask is designed to neutralize and destroy the microbes making them harmless to the environment as well as breaking the transmission cycle.
So, how does the flu mask destroy viruses and bacterias? Safe2Breathe masks offer bi-directional protection with 7-layer construction. The construction “….disables viruses at the cellular level, repels airborne moisture and filters fine particles, blood, bacteria and viruses.” (MCR Safety)
These flu masks are superior to the N95 as they are only tested to block particles from entering the mask. The spread of the pandemic is continuous as particles continue to stay alive on the N95.
The Safe2Breathe Pandemic Flu Mask is not a reusable mask, and should be disposed of no longer than 24 hours after start of use. Shelf life for these masks is at least 3 years.